Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, I sent my trigger group off to get a 2lb. trigger job done to my low wall 22 Hornet. I must say that it was much easier and the results were outstanding. I did not have to send off anything but the actual trigger and $40. In a week I had it back with complete instructions on reassembly. Should work on High Walls, too...send to or call:

Contact leeshaver74yahoo.com
or call 417-682-3330
Mon - Fri, 8:00am - 5:00 pm.

Lee Shaver Gunsmithing
PO Box 570
1020 Broadway
Lamar MO 64759

Gary

Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks - they are not particularly easy to work on, so that's good news!

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I'm interested in doing that. Can someone walk me through how one takes the trigger out? PS. this is a low wall. Thanks

Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here is a message I got from Paul39 outlineing what you need:

"Assuming that your Browning 1885 is the same as the more vintage BPCR types that I am familiar with, with the possible exception of a short tang, you simply remove the buttplate, then the stock through bolt using a large flat bladed screwdriver. On the long tang models there is also a small screw through the tang that fits into an escutcheon in the stock, that has to be removed. Once you get the stock off, you can see a small cross pin that holds the trigger in. It usually fits pretty loosely, and is easy to drive. Once the pin is out, the trigger and its spring drop out.

A problem area with the Browning 1885 is the sear spring. The last time I reinstalled a trigger, the firing pin wouldn't hit the primer. The problem was that one leg of the small scissor shaped sear spring had slipped out of its notch, an easy fix with a small pick. It is my understanding that currently when Lee does a trigger job, he sends along one of his new improved sear springs with instructions for installation. I have never had to replace a sear spring, but a replacement would be a good item to have in your kit."

If that is confusing, give me a PM and I will help...
GaryO

Gary

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I think that explains it pretty well. I have a debate going on in my mind. My low wall is a .260 and thus pretty collectable. Will it hurt the value down the road if I have the trigger messed with?

IC B2

Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A 2lb. trigger pull on a .260 might be problematic for bigger game hunters, but should have little effect on the so-called collectors value of your rifle. You could buy a spare trigger and have Lee work on that...

Gary

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Gary O
A 2lb. trigger pull on a .260 might be problematic for bigger game hunters, but should have little effect on the so-called collectors value of your rifle. You could buy a spare trigger and have Lee work on that...

Thanks Gary. Where might one find a spare trigger for a low wall?

Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
come on man...try Browning Arms.

Gary

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Yep, they have it. Has an asterisk, meaning it has to be fitted by a Browning Service Center or a qualified gunsmith. Wonder if they will sell to an individual?

Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
OK. buy it, install and try it. Go from there...
Easy to install. If it needs help, talk to Lee. How much was it?
Can't be that many left in inventory...

Gary

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm glad it worked out for you, Gary.

I haven't done any real comparison myself, but it seems like part of the Shaver trigger job is grinding the trigger itself, and part is the replacement spring. If it seems too light, you could try putting the original spring back in and see it that makes the pull a bit heavier. For that matter you could experiment with different springs of the same diameter. It's just a small coil compression spring, and the one Shaver suppplies looks pretty generic. So long as the inside diameter will fit over the small peg, you should be able to make different springs work.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Gary O
OK. buy it, install and try it. Go from there...
Easy to install. If it needs help, talk to Lee. How much was it?
Can't be that many left in inventory...

On the website its marked at $40.00

Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hey Paul. Thanks for the heads-up on Lee Shaver. All went well and I am very pleased with the light 1.5 pound trigger on my Hornet.
This other guy here is rightfully concerned about that light of a pull on a deer rifle..peace, out.

Last edited by Gary O; 10/10/11.

Gary

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Gotcha. My comment was addressed to guys who might want a heavier trigger for hunting. My last Shaver trigger goes about 2 lbs. I wish it were lighter, as the rifle is used exclusively for targets. I've heard second hand that if Shaver has the whole rifle, he can tweak it to an optimum pull, perhaps a bit lighter than just the drop-in. I'm sure there is a lower end limit due to the design, probably around 1.5 lbs. Most seem to go about 1.75 lbs. or so. If yours is 1.5 lbs. you done good.

Paul

Last edited by Paul39; 10/10/11. Reason: typed wrong number

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You might try some moly trigger grease to lighten it still more. That has worked for me on the sear and trigger contact points...

Gary

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,781 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,631
Posts18,474,270
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.